Hello.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

New Balance 890

So as you recall, way back in November I bought a pair of Asics Gel-DS Sky Speeds as my wet weather running shoes. So after what seemed like a long break in period, I developed a pain in my right forefoot. The pain was real similar to turf toe but that couldn't be it since it's been months since I played field hockey. So after doing a quick search and a little e-diagnosis, Sesamoiditis seemed to be the culprit. Upon further reading, it is mentioned that "Shoe treatments include wearing a shoe that doesn’t flex at the forefoot or have a thin, non-shock absorptive sole. In a running shoe, this means no flex groove directly under the big toe joint where the sesamoid is inflammed."


 As you can see, the flex grooves are right under the big toe joint.

After a week and a half of no running, the pain subsided  and began to feel normal again. Not wanting to re-injure, I switched back to my lovely K-Swiss Blade Light Runs. After switching back for 2 weeks, I have been pain free but running in wet weather sucks because of the drainage holes on the bottom. So the hunt for a new shoe began. While looking for a recipe I stumbled upon The No Meat Athlete and his minimalist shoe saga. In his story, he mentions pain in the ball of his foot and goes on to mention the NB 890 and mentions "I ran Boston in them.  They felt great.  And then I started doing track workouts in them.  They still felt great.   And so, I realized, did the ball of my foot." Figuring, it's still early in the training program so why not give it a shot. A few days later they arrived at my doorstep. 

Notice the gray area.



The gray part is directly under the big toe joint.

My first impression was that I found theses shoes to be really light and was a little concerned about the durability. The first day, went out for a short 20min run and was surprised to find them pretty much ready to run out of the box and pretty comfortable. After a month of doing a few 40-55min runs, I still have no pain in the forefoot or anywhere else. Give these a shot


4 comments:

Nice... always nice to find a pair of shoes that work for you (especially in wet weather). I was ankle deep in water today when it rained buckets this morning during my run.

You know, shoes are the devil. If you really want to go injury free you should run barefoot. Our feet evolved to run on asphalt and concrete.
Seriously, whatever helps you get the miles in. Doing the Hapalua this weekend?

Barefoot Doug, thanks for the suggestion but I have sold my soul to the devil and the evil shoe wearing empire. Haha. Anyways, not doing the Hapalua. Seriously, real swimmers don't sign up for 1/2 marathons for fun. Just kidding. Have fun!

Where is the like button? I had to laugh at "Seriously, real swimmers don't sign up for 1/2 marathons for fun."
Any who, glad you found new shoes. I remember your post on the KSwiss.

Post a Comment