Hello.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

2011 Cholo's Waimea Bay 1.2 mile Swim

 Waimea Bay

I know it's a little late. Anyways, on with the report. 

Never deprive yourself of sleep. Listen to your body if it's tired. Rest and do it another day. I however, didn't listen and paid the price. Since Mondays are my sort of recovery days from working late on Sunday nights, I had every intention to be out cold by 8:30. So after a great 2K open water swim in my new SLS3 Fobic Speed suit. Little did I know, my post-workout high would be short lived. Two frantic voicemails, 3 call backs and a very quick drive home I found myself in the ER. Six hours later, starving and really grouchy, we finally got to go home. Times like this, I really wish I had a smart phone. Oh, I'm alright, it wasn't me that needed to go to the ER. The rest of the week was pretty rough. Slum lords upstairs had a visitor that would not STFU. So a good sleep was out of the question. So I woke up on Saturday morning, feeling tired as hell but decided to go do the swim. 

Stars and numbers indicate order and buoy placement.

Found parking a 1/4mile away (I'm too cheap to pay for parking) and walked to the bay. So for this race, females were to start first while males go second. I'm not sure on the whole reasoning behind this but it wasn't fun. Our wave starts and I'm feeling alright, got a good draft and started to get into a good rhythm. So somewhere between points 1 and 2,  somehow got stuck behind a slow female and blocked in by two slow guys on both sides and then it hit me. I felt really really exhausted. Almost to the point where I was having trouble breathing. I had to stop. Yes, that's right, I stopped. I dunno how long I was there trying to get my act together but it must have been a while. Anyways, got my act together and managed to finish in 37:32.9 for 20th in my AG. It's a far cry from the week before where I finished 8th. On another note, it was my second time wearing the SLS3 suit. All I can say is "Amazing". Don't forget that I stopped, I was tired and my previous time for 1.2 mile swim was a 38.04.

 
The guy in the back had a ridiculously strong kick which equaled great draft

For those who aren't familiar with Waimea Bay, some vids on how it looks during the winter. 


It's pretty crazy to see this in real life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment