Hello.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Green Velvet Cake

Sometimes I miss my unemployment days. My usual day would consist of swimming, biking, bodyboarding or running in the morning, eat breakfast, nap and look for jobs. After lunch, I'd work on small projects or bake something if I was in the mood. Good times. Anyways, I was off for a few days and decided to try this Red Velvet Cake I saw on Foodjimoto
So why green instead of red? Well, it's because I ran out of red, didn't want to pay $7 for 24oz and green was one of the colors I had left in the 4 color pack. According to some friends it looks like "Oscar the Grouch" or like x-mas trees with snow on top.

Green Velvet Cake 

1. 1c shorting
2. 1 3/4c sugar
3. 2 1/2c sifted flour
4. 1 1/4t salt
5. 2 eggs
6. 1c buttermilk (substituted with 1T vinegar added 1c of milk)
7. 1t baking soda
8. 1 1/2t vinegar
8. 1t vanilla extract
9. 1/4oz green food coloring
10. 1 1/2t coco powder

In a using a mixer combine 1 and 2 till mixed well. 
In another bowl, combine 3 and 4. Set aside. 
Mix 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 together. Add to the shorting mixture 1c at a time alternating with the flour/salt mix.
In a small bowl, mix 9 and 10. Add to batter and mix till combined. 
Line the bottom of two round cake pans with parchment or wax paper. 
Divide the batter between the two cake pans. 
Bake at 350deg for 25min or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

Icing
1. 1 1/2oz cream cheese (I used 1 block)
2. 3/4c softened butter
3. 1 1/2lb powdered sugar 
4. 1/4t salt
5. 2t vanilla extract

Combine well. 

Enjoy! 

Would I make this again? Sure. I might cut the amount of sugar needed in the icing since I thought it was a little sweet.





0 comments:

Post a Comment