Hello.

Friday, August 5, 2011

New hydration/gear setup

So I've been thinking about changing my setup for sprint and Olympic distance races my current setup isn't very aerodynamic. Currently, I have one water bottle on the frame, a tool kit bag under the seat and a bento box. After reading a few articles on ST, I've decided to give the horizontal mounted and under the seat mounted styles a try.
Chris McCormack rocking the horizontal setup in the 2010 Kona Ironman.

Chris Lieto with the under seat setup.

The setup:

Apparently I didn't have zip ties long enough to work with my HED basebar, I used the a Profile Design aerodrink bracket instead. I attached the top of the cage to the bracket while the bottom was attached to the basebar. Since I'm on a budget, I had to use what was available. 

With water bottle. Computer is mounted right behind bottle, somewhat blocking it from the wind. 

 Front view. Computer is blocked by the bottle. 

For the rear setup, I used the Minoura cage holder which can be found on eBay for under $12.
Depending on seat construction, this may or may not work for you. 

The cage can be bent to insure a tighter fit.

 Front view of rear cage. Pretty minimal.

With this rear setup, I can place my flat kit, tools, tube and cell phone all in a water bottle.

The whole setup. 

I'm sure you're wondering why I don't use the PD aerodrink. Well, since my front end is really low, there isn't much space between the basebar and the front wheel. Because of this small space, the aerodrink rests upon the front tire, thus making it useless for me. Here's a good review by Tom D from Trisports.com Aerobar Drink Systems Review.

4 comments:

I have total bike jealous! And putting the water bottle behind the seat and throwing all the flat stuff into it is a great idea.
What about long training rides? Will you put the cages back on the frame so you can still carry enough water?

That's a good question. I might put the Xlab wing on or carry a bottle in my jersey. Probably for HIM races, I'll use the Xlab, have a cage on the frame and on the basebar. The cage on the frame will most likely be for swapping bottles or extras.

As a rookie, I am always fooling with my hydration setup. I use the aerodrink between my aerobars and I just installed a double rear mount. I normally carry a flat kit in one of the holders and if I go on a long ride, a bottle of water. The bottle used to be fine, but lately they have been launching. I like your horizontal set up. I will have to give that a go.

Have you tried adjusting the angle of the bottle holders or using smaller bottles? Since we have really shitty roads here, I use the rubber bands that came with the aerodrink to hold my bottles down. I'll look to see what brand of cages I have. All I can remember that they are Ti and not very pretty.

Post a Comment