Hello.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Dealing With Swim Anxiety

Anxiety during the swim sucks. It can ether overcome it or succumb to it and end up with a fat DNF. Despite coming from a competitive swim background, I'll occasionally have an "episode" while doing a OWS race or just out swimming in the ocean. My biggest fear? Drowning. To tell you the truth, I was never born a swimmer. I didn't learn how to swim till I was 11. Living on an island pretty much sucked. Anyway, finally learned how to swim a year later and the rest is history.

So here's my tricks on how I deal anxiety.

1. I like to warm up for at least 5-10min. I see so many triathletes just standing around before the start shooting the shit before the race. Nervous energy + adrenaline + shock of cold water = disaster.  Warming up helps gets the blood moving and your body used to the initial shock of the water.

2. Pace yourself. Don't join the masses and sprint at the start of the race. I see no need in sprinting the start of a 1.2mile race. If you can keep that pace, that's great.

3. Position yourself accordingly. If you don't mind the taking a few hits during the swim, the middles for you. I like to swim on the outside, preferably so all the turns are on the outside. You'll have to swim a bit more but it sure beats getting punched, pulled or kicked.

4. The most important thing. Be positive. Don't let your mind drift and have negative thoughts. Think about other things other than swimming (cute girl/guy you'll ask out, post race meal, first non-triathlon thing you'll do). Have fun.


These may or not work for you but it's worth a shot. Anyone else have any other tips?

2 comments:

I'd like to add - skip the pre-race coffee!

If you have anxiety issues (and let's face it, since humans don't have gills, it's normal), then any sort of coffee or tea before the swim is going to elevate the heart rate, and that's not good.

Chug the coffee on the way out of T1 instead.

Also, I can't agree more about going to the outside. The extra couple of yards is so worth avoiding a pummelling.

Post a Comment