Hello.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

2012 Honu Pre- Race Report

After walking the whole 1/2marathon last year and almost finishing last in my AG, you'd think that I would never do this race again..However, I'm one not to throw in the towel so easily.

Since I'm originally from the Big Island, use this as a home visit, see my parents, friends and see what's new in town. Last year when I went back it was in the low 50s and raining. Not very fun. This year it was in the mid 50's to mid 60's and SUNNY! . It's pretty rough when on Oahu it's always in the mid 70's to high 80's.

Sun!
 
Cows in my families pasture

Long roads 

Glenwood 

So on my way home, I have to drive through Glenwood. It's probably the most sketchy place to drive though (hazard and people wise). This is definitely not the place you want to breakdown late at night. Put it this way, all your cars windows will be broken the first night and on the second, it will be stripped down. Think the airplane strip scene from "Lord of War"


So after a few days of freezing in Volcano, it was time to head out to Kona. After checking in it was time to check in/drop off run bag/pick up bike with the Honu folks. If you haven't done this before, athlete check in is pretty easy. All the volunteers there are really nice and there are a lot of them so it goes by really fast. I decided to bring my run gear with me so I wouldn't have to drop by the next day. 

View from the condos balcony 

Wild turkeys. So tame when you don't have a gun/bow. 

Bike drop off. All ready to go. 

I really like these racks instead of the pipe rack. With my QR, it's too small so to hang from the seat so I have to hang it from the bars. I'm sure the Cannondale would have been fine. 


I dropped of my bike during the athlete pre-race meeting so T1 was pretty much a ghost town. 


Mr. Armstrongs sweet ride. Colors not so sweet..Needs more black.. 

Other pros bikes. 

Pretty cool stickers.

Once everything was taken care of, it was time to head back to the condo and prep for the 70.3 miles of fun that awaited me the next day. 


4 comments:

I liked these racks too. Easier than the triangle racks.

You family lives in nice country. Nice to be able to visit and get that "home" feeling before starting a major race. I am looking forward to your race report.

OK, I'm going to be the idiot who says, "you have turkeys in Hawaii?!" I totally wish the transition at my race looked like yours! So Jealous! We had pipe racks and a zillion puddles in transitions and it was in the middle of woods! Looking forward to your race report!

Haha. I'm guessing since the Ironman World Championship is in Kona, they just use all the transition stuff from it. It's nice running on AstroTurf instead of hot pavement.

Post a Comment