Hello.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

2011 Aloha Salads Summer Sprint Swim

I dunno if I came down with something or what but I felt so drained out last week. I could barely finish my usual 2000m+ swim workouts and was in bed by 8pm. Race morning, had my usual pre-race breakfast of cream of rice w/cinnamon and honey. 

Arriving out on there, the weather wasn't in the ideal summer weather. It was a little overcast, breezy and the water was a little choppy. Not the best conditions for a swim. I've surfed a lot of times out on the North Shore but this was my first time actually swimming out there. Not to mention, first actual race swimming with people who only swim.

What I'm usually used to seeing during the winter. 

Swim started in waves, with males being first and females second. The swim was a little choppy and the currents really sucked (nothing worse than swimming and not moving). One thing I have to say, for a mass start, it wasn't that crazy. I didn't have to dodge breaststroke kicks or have to play rough with those who like too. 

Overall, I thought I did alright despite feeling tired during the week. Would I do it again? Most likely. Lessons learned, don't start in the inside, nor swim on the inside, always check your siting, the person you draft doesn't always swim straight. 

Time - 32:50.4
Age group 25-29 - 8th/36
Overall place - 143rd/743

Up next, the Cholo's Waimea Bay 1.2mile Swim - 7/16

2 comments:

I have so much jealous that I didn't get to do this. Good swim.

Wow! I can't imagine swimming there. This makes my little outdoor swims look like a kiddy pool!

Post a Comment