Hello.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Sweet week

Since I'm still feeling a little sore from the Honu, I had some time to make a cake for a friend requested one many months ago. Since it was for a dude, I was going to attempt a "Little Shop of Horrors Plant" cake but it changed into a chick birthday cake. Oh well. Next time.


Perfect All-American Chocolate Butter Cake with Fondant(Via The Cake Bible

1.       1. 1/2 c + 3T unsweetened cocoa (dutch-processed)
2.       2. 1c boiling water
3.       3. 3 large eggs
4.       4.  2 1/4t vanilla
5.       5. 2 1/4c + 2T sifted cake flour
6.       6. 1 1/2c sugar
7.       7. 1T baking powder
8.       8. 3/4t salt
9.       9. 1c unsalted butter
10.   10. Two 7in by 2in cake pans greased, bottoms lined with parchment or wax paper.

Preheat oven 350degF
In a medium bowl, mix 1 & 2 until smooth, cool to room temp
In another bowl, mix 3, ¼ of the cocoa mixture, and 4.
In a large bowl, combine 5, 6, 7 and 8 and mix on low speed for 30 sec to blend. Add 9 and remaining cocoa mixture. Mix till dry ingredients are moist.
Increase to medium speed and beat for 1 1/2min to aerate.
Gradually add the egg mixture in 3 batches, beat for 20sec after each addition.
Scrape batter into pans until ½ full.
Bake for 25-35min or until tester inserted near the center comes out clean.
Let cool in pans for 10min.
Loosen the sides and invert onto greased wire racks. 

Buttercream Icing  (via Iammommy
      4c powdered sugar
      1/2c shorting
      5T milk
      1t vanilla
 f     
      Combine all ingredients and mix.
 I decided to give this a recipe a shot since 1) I ran out of butter and didn't want to spend another $4.99 for a block and 2) I ran out of eggs too. I found it pretty tasty but there was a slight shortening taste to the icing. Maybe more sugar and vanilla may mask the taste?

For the fondant, I used the recipe from Thebakingpan.com 
Here's some tips for making your own fondant based on my experience:
- Powdered sugar is better for dusting rather than cornstarch
- Having a Kitchen aid mixer makes life easier 
- White chocolate adds flavor
- Humidity is not your friend 
-Watching videos on how to cover cakes is good
- I found this site very helpful

So since I had left over batter a few cupcakes were made. 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
On another note, entry forms have been mailed in for the North Shore Swim Series. We'll see how I fare against the real swimmers.

6 comments:

That's good you posted tips for the fondant making. I still never tried making any yet.

Give it a shot. It's not that hard. Actually it's a good workout.

oh wow, i've never played with fondant... i say I like the "rustic" look of regular buttercream ;)

Oops..Forgot to put up a pic of the cake..

They both look so wonderful! I'm impressed (especially since I'm the world's worst baker).

Post a Comment