Hello.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

2011 Honu recap pt 1

It's been a awhile but I'm still alive. I'm kinda having a hard time finding motivation to write so you'll get the whirlwind version for now. Going to break it into two parts to make things easier.

So flew back home (Big Island) for the race on Tuesday night hoping to try get a swim in on Wednesday and buy food for Kona. Well, things didn't go as planned and found myself home on Wednesday. Living 30miles away from pretty much anything is pretty harsh, especially when the weather is bad.
It was about 59deg, probably colder with the wind chill 

Headed over to Kona on Thursday to check into the condo we were staying at, pick up bike and check in for the race. 
Weather wasn't looking good for Satuday 

After packet pickup/registration and bike pick up was over decided to take a quick swim at Hapuna beach (the swim start). Conditions were a little sloppy and choppy but that's what you get when you go in the late afternoon. 
Fettuccine alla Turkey Puttanesca with baby greens

Since we were staying in a condo, I cooked most of my meals instead of going out and eating. Will post the recipe for my Fettuccine alla Turkey Puttanesca with baby greens in another post.

Woke up Friday morning with the weather looking much better. It was a little hazy and the winds weren't too strong. 
View from deck looking towards Kailua Kona

Headed out to Hapuna for a swim and quick bike ride. The conditions were much better, calm, flat and visibility was really good. To be honest, I haven't swam in deep water in years so I felt a little nervous when it got really deep. After treading water for a bit and telling myself "I can swim, so STFU and get with it" I swam a bit further and headed back to shore. 

Prepping bike for drop off 

Bike hdyration/nutrition setup - X-Lab Super Wing (2 bottles), 2 frame mount (one left empty on purpose), bento box (1 Cliff bar and 2 Hammer Gels) and 2 Hammer Gels taped to frame. I know it wasn't the most aero setup. I'm sure I'd get some flack on ST for it.

Notice the saddles around my bike. No cheap stuff.

Just a future reminder, bring helmet for bike check in. I forgot to bring it, wasted 30min going back to get it. 

AstroTurf was laid down on top of the pavement. No worries about stepping on rocks in T1. 

My pre-race dinner was nothing to write home about. I like to keep things light and simple, so chopped up some roasted chicken breast deli meat, kalamata olives and mixed it up with some fettuccine and olive oil.

Part 2 coming up..

0 comments:

Post a Comment