Hello.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Nutrition/Gear for HIM

Here's my nutrition gear set up for the Honu. I'm still trying to get it down so so feel free to comment or ask questions.

Nutrition

Breakfast
1/3 cup cream of rice w/cinnamon
1/2 boiled sweet potato without skin
8oz Powerade

Bike
1 3/4 bottles Ironman Perform

Totals - 1170 cal, 88g carbs, 80mg Na, 40mg K, 8g sugar

My plan was to eat the solid  and 2 gels on the way out and at the turn around point, switch over to the rest of the gels on the way back. For hydration, the Gu brew would be sufficient enough since in training, I could never drink 3 bottles. So my plan went fine for most of the ride, I felt hydrated, not tired and comfortable. However, around mile 40, both of my vastus medialis muscles felt like they were on the verge of cramping. I drank a little more of the Gu brew, sucked down the last gel thinking I may be low on electrolytes. This provided a slight relief, so decided to grab the Perform at the next two aid stations. Perform seemed to alleviate the tightness. Maybe supplement with more electrolytes next time?

Run
Perform (est 40oz)

Total - 1190 cal, 289 carbs, 1280mg Na, 220mg K, 148g sugar

I didn't have much of a plan for nutrition since I was hoping to run/walk the whole 13 miles. However, due to the IT band issue flaring up after mile 3, I had to walk the last 10. I'm thinking I would have drank a lot less if I was actually running but those cool drinks made me feel so much better.

Gear
TYR Competitor Tri Shorts - I found these pretty comfortable during the swim, didn't feel much drag from the shorts while swimming. When biking, I thought they provided adequate padding in all the right places. Didn't experience any chafing or irritability from it. For the run, the side pockets were a little small to hold 3 gel packs on each side, the back zip pocket was large enough to hold about 4. Having this back pocket was also nice since it held ice cubes pretty well for cooling.

Zoot Tri Tank - Still using my original tank from last year, surprised it held up this long. Fading is pretty noticeable and pockets are starting to peel away..Guess that's what happens when it's made in China. Top will be retired when I get a new one. 
K-Swiss Blade Light Run - Despite logging so few miles in them, they were pretty comfortable race day. The loops made putting them on in T2 a breeze. I felt that the holes provided adequate drainage but not as good as the K-ONA. 

SLS3 Padded Compression Socks - These were awesome, just wish they came in black. Besides regular compression socks, SLS3 also makes padded versions. Padding is in the pressure areas (ball, heal and Achilles tendon) where I needed it the most. If you have all been following, I've been dealing with Achilles tendon issues so I was really worried not being able to finish the run segment. I finished the whole run without any Achilles issues. I definitely recommend these! Use 20Hiramoto for 20% off your order if interested in picking up a pair.

0 comments:

Post a Comment