Hello.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Fried Polenta

According to the weather man, we were supposed to have some rainy weather this past weekend. I was definitely not looking forward to riding on the trainer for 3.5hrs. I don't really remember what I did on Saturday besides cooking and it was a decent day. So much for rain. For all of you that don't live on Oahu, biking here sucks. You have bike lanes that disappear, bike lane signs but no bike lane and drivers that just don't give a shit if you're on the road. You'd imagine, a place where the weather is great most of the time would be great for biking. No, not in Hawaii. We're probably one of the most unfriendly biker states in the nation. Anyways, got up at 4:30am, ate, prepped bottles and got gear together. As I was packing the bike up it started to pour. Great. 3.5hrs with wet roads. Luckily, the rain decided to stay in the valley and not come down to the ocean. So where does one ride for 3.5 hours? I started off at Kapiolani park and headed out to Waimanalo, did a few laps in the farm lots, back to Hawaii Kai, back to Diamond Head, thru Kahala, back out to Hawaii Kai and finally back to Kapiolani park. Non stop. I forgot the total mileage but it was around 60 something. Let me tell you this, it's a lot to think about. Oh yeah, Cobb V-Flow plus is AWESOME. I dunno if I could last with the Selle. 

Anyways, on with the cooking. I was having this craving for something fried and it being the end of the month, I can't go out and splurge on any fried fatty goodness. The Slumlords demand rent. I really was craving food from Home but guess that will have to wait till after June. I remember reading something about frying polenta and how good it was. I decided to give it a shot. 


Fried Polenta
Ingridents
1c polenta
2c water

Directions
Boil 2c water in pot, once boiling, add in polenta and stir till thick. Once thick, pour into a baking dish, flatten and place in fridge for 2 hours or until cold. Once it's cold, cut polenta into strips for frying. Heat pan with oil, fry polenta till golden brown on all sides. Let cool on wire rack. Season with salt and pepper.

2 comments:

Safest places to ride on the island are the military bases. I'm only able to get on because the wife is retired Army so I've got a dependent ID. There is pretty good shoulder on Pineapple Hill, but you get broken bottles to keep an eye out for. Your ride sounds good, never ridden that side of the island.

That's what I've heard. You guys always get the good spots. Unfortunately I'm not military so I don't get to partake. It's a good ride, traffic sucks at times but it's close to home. You should try it if your planning on doing the Tinman. A good part of it is the actual race course.

Post a Comment