Hello.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

SLS3 Compression Day Sleeves review


As some of you may or not know that I'm doing the Honu race next month. Yes, I will be back for more fun in the hot Kona sun. Last year a combination of bad decisions, training angry and improper recovery led to me walking 10 of the 13 miles of the run. With three weeks to go, everything is feeling great *knock on wood*  and working great.

Yesterday was one of my longest runs to date. A whopping 8.5 miles! First off, I'm not a runner nor do I want to be one so anything above 3 is a lot for me. For this particular run, I donned my SLS3 Compression Day Sleeves instead of the compression socks. I wanted to give these a try since 1) you can wear your own socks 2) see if my calves became tight 3) my socks were all dirty. The compression sleeves come in white if black isn't your thing. Black is my preferred choice since 1) hides most stains 2) I like black.

Initially the sleeves can be felt hugging your calves but after a few hundred yards, you'll never notice you have them on. Overall, the whole run felt pretty good, legs didn't feel tight, had a decent pace, and felt like I could have run a little longer (didn't since I start work at 6:30am and it was already past 6:30).


Here's some info from the SLS3 website

"The SLS3 Day Sleeves provide increased calf muscle performance during training and racing.
Our seamless TekWeb technology makes this the ultimate must have garment for the serious athlete. The SLS3 Day Sleeves will aid your body in getting oxygenated blood into your legs, removing lactate and other waste products. They also provide muscle support by reducing muscle vibration and energy loss, while increasing accuracy and efficiency of movement.
The honeycomb design on the back provides special support while the space in between allows for optimal ventilation.

Seamless TekWeb technology
Muscle Stability
20-30 mmHG of graduated compression
Increased Bloodflow
"


Honey comb design

 Sizing is pretty accurate (I'm 5'7 and have chicken legs) 

View looking down

Stitched on, not ironed on


This review may be a little one sided since I have nothing to compare. So, if anyone want's to send me a pair to try out, I'll be more than happy to do a comparison.

4 comments:

Are you going to wear them during the race? I have been curious about compression sleeves. What are the advantages of wearing them? I will try anything that will help me to either run better or recover faster.

I'll probably wear the sleeves for Honu but not for any shorter races. Advantages, well you can wear your own socks and apparently wear them during the swim. I found that wearing the sleeves, my calves don't get as tight when doing long runs 5+ miles. As for recovery, I don the socks since it compresses from the calf down.

I have just order mine compression sleeves and I am really curious. Have you tried also compresion sox? Do you see pros and cons for each one of them?

Jaromir,
I have the socks as well. I mostly use the socks for recovery and when the sleeves are in the wash.
Pros of the socks? Easy to put on when wet or not, compress the whole foot and calf, great for recovery.
Cons of the socks? Can't wear your own socks

Pros of the sleeves? can wear your own socks
Cons of the sleeves? harder to put on while wet, not great for recovery

Post a Comment