Hello.

Monday, February 27, 2012

When Flip turning goes wrong

Accidents happen. Last Friday night while swimming my 1650m TT (finished in a slow 28:43), somewhere around the 1000m mark, I underestimated the distance between the wall and where I started my turn. This led to my right heel slamming down on the pool gutter. Ouch. Despite the throbbing pain and not wanting to stop, I continued on with the TT. Since I was able to walk back to my truck, I figured it wasn't that bad....

The next morning I got up, took one step out of my bed and almost fell over. I couldn't take one step without being in pain. Oh well cancel biking plans and go back to sleep. One IB6 and a few hours later, I was able to slowly limp around the house but production was not happening.

Saturday afternoon

By Sunday, the pain was still around but not as bad. Walking was manageable but not long distances. I'm guessing nothing was broken since the pain is decreasing. Was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to hold up while working at the restaurant but I was fine. 

 Sunday Afternoon. It's funny how bruises get bigger/uglier after a few days

Today, the pain is just a slight irritation but the area feels a little tender. Might try go out for a short run if the weather permits. Well see how that goes. 

Despite this major pain in the ass, I will still continue to do flip turns instead of open wall turns. I'll get the standard argument from other triathletes "no need to flip turn in open water, so why do them" and that's great but where are you in the swim? MOP (middle of pack)? BOP (back or pack)? If there isn't any walls in open water swims, why are you doing OWTs? Shouldn't you turn around before the wall? My reasoning for doing them 1) Open wall turns are a mental/mini rest break in a set (sets are meant to push you/make you stronger so why slack) 2) It gives your lungs a work out and  3) It's what real swimmers do (don't we copy pro cyclist and runners, so why not Olympic swimmers).

I believe that everyone is capable of properly doing flip turns with dedication and practice. You just have to breakdown that mental barrier that's keeping you from doing them. 

So if you're a open wall turner, what's your reason for doing them? 


Hmm...no open wall turns from these ladies.

4 comments:

Ok, I am an open wall turner and now you have given me a "good" reason not to do flip turns! LOL!

Haha. This was the 2nd time in 16 years that I've done this.

Love your reasons for flip turns! That's right, they should turn three yards before the wall to properly simulate open water swimming.

How about just swimming in open water instead of "simulating"?

Post a Comment