Hello.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Blackened Ahi With Quinoa


Living in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, I am no stranger when it comes to eating fresh fish and seafood. Strangely enough, fish is not one of my top choices to eat. However, when given free fresh fish, I have no problem putting it to good use. After graduating high school a long time ago, one of my first jobs was a dishwasher at Kilauea Lodge on the Big Island. One of the perks of dish washing was that we'd get a dinner prepared by one of the chefs at the end of the night. One particular night, were were made a Blackend Ahi dish. The flavor was amazing and since then, I've been a fan of anything blackened. 



Blackening Seasoning (One filet serving, x2 amount for more)
1T paprika
1/2t oregano
1/2t thyme
1/2t cayenne pepper (more for hotter)
3/4t black pepper
1/4t onion powder
1/4t garlic powder
1/4t salt

Mix all ingredients together in a container.

Place ahi (tuna) filet in container and shake till fish is coated well. 

Using a small pan, add about 1-2T olive oil and heat till olive oil is almost smoking. Carefully place fish into pan and fry 1-2min on each side (more for a drier fish). Remove from pan and let cool on side. 

Quinoa 
1c quinoa
2c chicken stock 

Add ingredients to a pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, bring down to a simmer and cook till soft. 
If you don't want to keep watching it, you can cook quinoa in a rice cooker. 

Plate fish on Quinoa and serve with steamed veggies. Enjoy!




2 comments:

Is cooking one of your hobbies or a career?

You come up with some great dishes. I have never had quinoa. A good running friend highly recommends it. I love ahi so this might be a good introduction for me.

I like to cook but enjoy baking stuff more. Cooking as a career? Well, not really but part-time at a friends restaurant. It doesn't pay enough to fund triathlons so that's why I have my other job.

Post a Comment