Hello.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

2011 Koolina Sprint Tri

This past weekend I ventured way out west to participate in the Koolina Sprint Tri out at the Koolina resort. Apparently this is the last triathlon on the island for the year so I was hoping for a good finish before switching over to biathlons. If you've been following from the beginning I had great aspirations for racing this year. After running the Xterra off road trail race with 8 min something pace, I was looking forward to finally having decent run times for this season. Unfortunately, pushing too hard and improper running form led to me injuring both Achilles tendons. Despite these setbacks, I still managed to finish the Honu (1/2 Ironman) with me power walking the last 10 miles. Fast forward to this past weekend. Feeling 90% again, no Achilles problems and feeling good to finally race a hopefully pain free race.

So little about this race which makes it different from other races is that the swim isn't a straight swim. It's more of a swim/run.
Illustration of the swim course.

Panoramic of the first lagoon. Hideous Disney Hotels on the right.

 One of the running sections on the swim.

Arrived early in transition, got the first spot on the rack. Setup swim to bike and bike to run gear. It's amazing what you see in the transition areas. I saw things from chairs, buckets to people with way to much liquids for the the bike. Finally got to meet Doug of Dirtbag Fitness . Took the long walk over to the start area to get ready for the swim. Got to the area, no one was warming up in the lagoon. Was thinking "Damm the water must be cold", got in and remembered that the majority of triathletes don't like to swim. While waiting around for the start, briefly saw Kepa the Tri-n-Hawaiian running to the start line.

The swim started off pretty good, I decided to go easy on the first lagoon being that I've never done a swim/run race before. I guess I got lucky, I didn't get punched or kicked in the start. Kinda wished that I wore my speed suit since the I could feel my tri top flapping in the back. Anyways, finished the first lagoon, felt pretty good. Got to the second lagoon and wow, seemed like guys were paying the price. Saw a few people backstroking it, one was just stopped and few were just resting. Guess doing those 100m x 6 with 5sec rest really pays off. I finished the swim feeling pretty good, probably a little to conservative on the swim. 
Swim 16:29

For the bike segment, my plan was to take it conservative for the first 1/2 and at the turn around push it on the way back. In the beginning I got passed by a bunch of people, played bike tag with a few and got crushed by a few. At the turn around, sucked down a gel, took a drink and picked up the pace. Finished strong and ready for my least favorite part of the race. The run. 
Bike 46:33


The run segment has always been my weakest segment of the race. The first mile seemed to suck, as expected got passed by a few people, surprisingly I passed a few. By the end of mile 1, I seemed to get into the rhythm and picked it up. The last mile felt awesome, pushed it pretty hard and had a great finish. 
Run. 26:30
Overall time 1:32:08    

 Overall, I feel that I should have pushed a little harder on the swim since it was a little slow for me. I guess next year I shall if I do this one again. However, I'm pretty happy with my results. I'll definitely miss biking but I'm looking forward to participating in the upcoming biathlons.

With that said, I'd like to thank the guys at the McCully Bike repair shop for fixing my bike and being awesome. Big thank you to Sebastian, Sylvie and Roy at SLS3 for making awesome compression gear and race suits. Without a doubt, their compression gear provided great usefulness when training for a 1/2 Ironman. Also, I can't say enough how awesome their fobic speed suit and race tops are. I am really thankful to be associated with their team. 2012 will be a great year for them. Lastly, thank you to all you readers of this blog.

7 comments:

Excellent race report! I also saw a bunch of folks breaking out of their freestyle stroke... backstroking and breast stroking. Your time is decent. Good job! I wish I could swim like you and Doug. I did a sobering 19:01 in the swim. Heck, if I move just a bit faster I could have been in the 18's. Thats what happens when one doesn't train for an event!!!

I empathize with your dislike of the run -- my least favorite too. You are so lucky to be surrounded by such amazing races and courses. I want to live in Hawaii!

Sounds like you had a great race! There is also the Haleiwa Sprint coming up Nov. 6th. There doesn't seem to be online registration but Hawaii Sport Mag has a mail-in form. 500m swim, 12mi ride (3 laps through town), 5k (second half is a beach run). Think I'm going to get some.

Are you anti VFF? I have read it is very good for plantar. Good friend of ours highly recommends it for running. I know the gist of the book (Born to Run) but have not read it. Done the research but still sitting on the fence. Could go either way. Needless to say it was interesting putting them on. Last night 60% chance of purchasing a pair. Today, unsure.

Btw how are sls3 compression socks? I have a pair of cep but I want to get another one. I'm looking into some gear from sls

They are pretty good. I have both the regular and padded ones. I've wore the padded ones during a HIM, the black ones during field hockey and recovery. They have the butterfly print ones now. You'll be the cool girl running around Diamond Head with those on!

Cycling is one of the best exercise in all knee exercises which is helpful to make stronger our knee muscle.

Post a Comment